- 1L water (or more to cover ingredients)
- 1 whole chicken carcass or 1 lb bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 carrot
- 2 stalks of celery (optional)
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp salt, more to taste
- 5 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- Add all ingredients to heavy-bottom stock pot
- Boil for 30 minutes
- Taste and add salt as desired
- Remove solids
- Strain stock
Use immediately or store in glass jars for up to 1 week.
To store in jars, remove all solids and then carefully strain hot liquid into jars. I do this in a clean kitchen sink in case of spills. Wipe outside clean, twist lid on and place in fridge to seal.
If using for a creamy vegetable soup, the vegetables blend well to create a creamy base without the use of dairy. Think cream potato soup, simple tomato soup, etc.